Sunday, December 21, 2014

MTC Week #51 - He is the Gift


Today's Music & the Spoken Word marked an end for singing (and thoroughly enjoying) Christmas music with the Choir. I think some of the most powerful songs ever written are the ones that testify of Christ's life and His importance in our own lives. And certainly a lot of the Christmas music does just that. I love to picture myself as one of the characters in these songs. Whether it's being one of the heavenly hosts praising God during the visit to the shepherds, or the little drummer boy who realizes his gift of playing the drums for the baby Jesus is gift enough, or one of the wise men determined to make a long journey to see the Christ child, or a shepherd boy testifying to a king that someone greater than him has a message to share to the world.... There are great feelings to be had when you liken all of those great songs to yourself. 

Yes, I'll miss those songs.

One other thought:

As I was sitting in Church today listening to the lesson, the instructor mentioned he had listened to the broadcast today and the song that touched him the most was "Come, All Ye Faithful." We've all heard that song dozens of times--but this
time, the title of the song really stuck out to him. Here is a plea from Christ to come. Come to Him. Come everyone who has faith and is trying to live a good life. Through HIM, you will find peace and hope and the abundant rewards of your faith. 

We come to Him when we live as He did. When we serve others. When we recognize, and give thanks for, blessings. When we go out of our way to help another in need. When we ponder the scriptures or spend time in prayer. When we realize we messed up and seek forgiveness through repentance. When we put our arms on the shoulder of someone needing a smile and kind word. When we shoot off a text of appreciation or give someone a call who could use some cheering up. 

What can you do today or this week?

Lastly, I just want to say how grateful I am for a very busy, stressful, but miraculous year. Being in the choir has been marvelous and all of the hard work has paid dividends 100 times over. Each time I go to choir, I still think "Can this be? Am I really here?" New friends and soul-stirring music have been incredible. Life outside of choir has been stressful and busy as well but tender mercies from heaven have caused me to realize that without a doubt, the Lord loves me and my family, and He loves each of you as well. To all of you who have played a part in my life this year, THANK YOU.

And Merry Christmas!

Until next time, God be with you!

No comments:

Post a Comment